This is the boat that changed open-water sculling. The Aero had a huge impact when first introduced years ago and it remains the most-rowed boat here at OWRC. Many experienced rowers, qualified for our Maas 24’s and Maas Flyweights, choose to row the Aero, recognizing that as a training/recreation shell it’s tough to beat. Quick and light, it feels great to row and it stays that way as conditions change; a very dependable shell. A fine looking shell too, and yet rugged enough for years of use and many miles of rowing.
From the Maas Brochure:
This is a great all around shell. Stable enough for a dedicated novice to learn to row, the Aero has also enjoyed years of racing and touring success. At rowing clubs and schools across the United States it is commonly in heavy demand while other more expensive and less forgiving shells stay on the racks. A fully rigged weight of 39 lbs. makes transportation easy and at 21 feet long, car topping is no problem.
Aesthetically, the design is very clean and uncluttered and is enhanced by the beautifully crafted carbon fiber composite riggers. The Aero offers the quick responsive feel of our higher performance boats yet is less demanding when the water is rough. In the words of Olympic Rowing medalist Dick Lyon, “They’re just plain fun to row.”
With over two decades of experience with the Aero, we can attest to what Maas says above. The best boat for your physical training and rowing enjoyment is the boat you will row everyday. A boat in the rack burns no calories. The fun and versatility of the Aeros keeps our fleet out on the water everyday.
Maas Aero Specifications
- Length: 21′ 3 ”
- Beam on deck: 25″, Beam at waterline: 19″
- Weight fully rigged: 39 lbs. /Carbon series 35 lbs.
- Maximum rower weight: 240 lbs.
- Inspection port: 6″ diameter — comes with an integral nylon bag for wallet, keys, etc.
- Riggers: carbon fiber/fiberglass composite, very stiff and light (for the Classic Aero)
- Oarlocks: Adjustable for height, pitch and spread (152-158cm)
- Self bailer: Optional, very useful for choppy conditions — a must for open water racing — suction type, 4oz.
- Foot Stretchers: Carbon fiber/fiberglass, cored construction, neoprene and Velcro foot straps — easily adjustable over a 7.5″ range — adjustable heel cup height.
- Seat: Foam core fiberglass — this design is the best we’ve found for long distance rowing.
- Skeg: Standard plastic — optional larger aluminum model aids in rough water tracking
- Hull and deck construction: Syntactic foam core fiberglass, carbon fiber reinforced, vinyl ester resin, 4-6 mil gel coat finish — custom color, stripes and graphics available. Positive floatation is provided by four air bags.
NEW FOR 2015 – The Winged Aero
In Spring 2015 Maas will begin production of the Winged Aero – the same Aero hull but with the wing rigger design used for years on the Maas 24 and Flyweight. More information and photos to follow very soon.