Both the Aero and the Maas 24 are designed to carry rowers up to 240 lbs. For lightweight rowers, many of the women, that’s a lot of extra boat to be pushing around. The solution was the Flyweight, a sleek design introduced in 1998, scaled for rowers under 140 lbs, that is the same length as the 24, but lower, two inches narrower at the waterline and four pounds lighter.
Like the 24, the Flyweight gets its speed at the expense of some reduced stability, but this hull design, a flatter cross-section and a longer area of maximum beam than the 24, provides a bit more stability enabling rowers to handle rough-water – but be prepared to get very wet! A few OWRC members and staff in the 150 lbs range have rowed the Flyweight in flat water with success, but the recommended max is 140 lbs., especially in rough water conditions.
Here is how Maas describes the Flyweight:
The Flyweight is designed as a high performance open water racer. For light rowers the Flyweight is substantially faster than any other open water shell, including our Maas 24. The Flyweight is also an exciting and responsive shell for advanced recreational rowers and an excellent trainer for flat water racers. Not a cut down ‘big boat’, we’ve designed a completely new shell; the hull shape, foot stretcher and cockpit size, and rigging geometry are all scaled specifically for rowers under 140 lbs.
At a rigged weight of 35 lbs. (32 for the Carbon series) the Flyweight is very easy to carry.
If you’ve been getting by with a shell that’s designed for rowers up to 100 lbs heavier, maybe it’s time to try a boat that’s built just for you.
As you would expect from Maas, the construction is top quality and the design sleek and elegant; very similar to it’s Maas siblings. A small splash-guard is standard, as this boat, even more than the 24, tends towards a wetter row.
- Length: 24’1″, Beam at washbox: 16.5″, Beam at waterline: 12″
- Weight fully rigged: 35 lbs, Carbon series; 32 lbs
- Maximum rower weight: 140 lbs
- Splash guard: Virtually unbreakable polycarbonate
- Oarlocks: Adjustable for height, pitch and spread
- Seat: Foam core fiberglass
- Rigger: Wing style. Welded 6061 T6 aluminum tube construction. Adjustable for height and work through the pin. Elegant, light and rigid, easily removed for storage and transport
- Self bailer: Optional, very useful for choppy conditions — a must for open water racing — suction type, 4oz
- Foot Stretchers: Carbon fiber/fiberglass, cored construction, neoprene and Velcro straps — fits women’s sizes up to 10, men’s to 8 1/2
- Inspection port: 4″ diameter — comes with an integral nylon bag for wallet, keys, etc
- Skeg: Standard plastic — optional larger aluminum model aids in rough water tracking
- Hull and deck construction: Syntactic foam core fiberglass, carbon fiber reinforced, vinyl ester resin, 4-6 mil gel coat finish — custom color, stripes, and graphics available. Positive floatation is provided by four air bags