After the sensation caused by the introduction of the Maas Aero, the 24 was the next logical step. Adding four feet in length while reducing beam (width) by 5 inches created a boat that had the same weight was the Aero, with more of the profile and performance of a flat water racing shell.
At OWRC we row both Aero’s and 24’s, and both have their proponents. For many rowers – especially those not interested in racing, the speed advantage of the 24 will be subtle, at best. A longer boat is faster at the “top end”, when the shell is being driven at top speed. Stronger rowers training at top exertion will experience and appreciate the 24’s advantages in hull-speed and run. The price of better speed, however, is reduced stability, meaning that technique becomes critical and handling rough water more challenging.
The 24 displays the same rugged, top-quality construction and clean, elegant lines as its siblings in the Maas line. It’s a beautiful shell that rewards hard work and good technique, and can take on any conditions.
This is how Maas puts it in their materials:
Faster but less stable than the Aero, this shell was designed specifically to be the fastest boat an experienced sculler could row in open water. Speed very close to that of a single scull makes the 24 ideal for flat water racers concerned with training regardless of water conditions. Advanced recreational scullers find the 24 an exciting and challenging next step.
In all water conditions the Maas 24 provides immediate response to changes in technique. It rewards proficiency with exhilarating performance and for many of us, that is what sculling is all about.
- Length: 24′. Beam on deck: 20″. Beam at waterline: 14″
- Weight fully rigged: 39 lbs, Carbon series; 36 lbs
- Maximum rower weight: 240 lbs
- Rigger: Wing style. Welded 6061 T6 aluminum tube construction. Adjustable for height and work through the pin. Elegant light and rigid
- Skeg: Standard plastic — optional larger aluminum model aids in rough water tracking
- Self bailer: Optional, very useful for choppy conditions — a must for open water racing — suction type, 4oz
- Seat: Foam core fiberglass — this design is the best we’ve found for long distance rowing
- Foot Stretchers: Carbon fiber/fiberglass, cored construction, neoprene and Velcro straps — easily adjustable over a 7.5″ range — adjustable heel cup height
- Oarlocks: Adjustable for height, pitch and spread (155-165cm)
- Inspection port: 4″ diameter — comes with an integral nylon bag for wallet, keys, etc.
- Hull and deck construction: Syntactic foam core fiberglass, carbon fiber reinforced, vinyl ester resin, 4-6mil gel coat finish — custom
- Color, stripes, and graphics available
- Positive flotation is provided by four air bags
OWRC rowers have the everyday experience to prove that the Maas 24 can go fast and yet still handle the roughest conditions. If you like to push your limits and test your skills, the 24 will give you the challenging and exhilarating row you want.